The Muscle Collectors

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The moral benefits of Fiber

One of the stabbing attacks I used when fighting my natural urge to gorge on anything remotely edible was to add a lot of fiber to my diet.

  • Weight Control
  • Digestive Fun!
  • Heart Healthy

We are supposedly supposed to be getting 20-30 grams a day, so I did the manly thing and set my goal at 35 grams. I wanted to balance out my caloric intake while adding fiber, meaning I didn't want to just eat four cups of almonds and call it a day, when I could be chewin' on some broccoli, which has the highest fiber-to-calorie ratio.

Here is a chart I created to help find foods that are high in fiber relative to their calorie content. Notice the tasty stuff at both ends of the spectrum; just pick a few from the upper and bottom halves everyday, and you'll be stuffed full of fiber. And they said it was like eating cardboard... please.
I did leave cardboard off the list, but I think the average shoe box is 20 grams of fiber and 2 calories. Give it a try.

Two caveats: the beans were black, and the whole wheat bread was high fiber. Look at the label, you know the drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment